INNOVATIVE TEACHING METHODOLOGY
The department consists of dedicated, qualified and experienced faculty and supporting staff in various fields of Electrical and Electronics Engineering. All the staff members meet the requirements as prescribed by AICTE and Anna University. Various pedagogical activities have been followed by the faculty for the student in order to create interest over the subjects and the developing technologies.
The following are the various teaching methodologies used in different aspects for the delivery of course:
i) Lecture Method and Interactive Learning:
- Audiovisual aids, chalk and board are used by the faculty for teaching.
- Students are encouraged to clarify their doubts, during the lecture hour itself.
- Tutorial Sessions for Problem-Oriented subjects are done by two faculty members.
- During the lecture hour, first 5 minutes are used for revising topics taught in the previous class that too done by the students and the last 5 minutes is used to give a summary of the current class. Hence the students will get continuity of the previous day topics.
ii) Application Based Learning:
- Students are encouraged to attend workshops from 2nd year onwards. As an outcome of the workshop, interested students will develop Projects/ mini Projects at the end of the workshop.
- All third-year students are encouraged to do mini projects and are asked to submit the same before the commencement of exams.
- Students are encouraged for an internship in the industry during vacations.
- Students are taken to industrial visit at least once a semester to see the real-time operation.
- Involving the students in various coding and testing contest like TCS Testimony and TCS Code vita Contest.
iii) Practical Learning:
- Practical exercises are taught in the laboratory.
- Virtual Lab exercises are given to the students.
- In addition to the experiments given in the syllabus, students are instructed to practice additional experiments as suggested by the concerned by the faculty.
- Software’s like MATLAB and ETAP are used to develop power system applications.
- Laboratories are accessible for the students during the scheduled periods and also during leisure hours for doing experiments.
- Charts are displayed in laboratories through which the students can gain a basic idea about different circuit and machines.
- Industrial visits are organized for the students to acquire the knowledge about the real-time applications.
iv) Hi-tech classroom:
- All classrooms are equipped with projector facility.
- All laboratories and classrooms have Wi-Fi access with air-conditioned facility.
v) Other Innovative Teaching methods adopted by the faculty
Innovative teaching is a proactive approach to integrate new teaching strategies and methods. It is widely recognized as a key way of achieving competitive advantage. Here are the appropriate methods, which we use for innovation in Teaching and Learning Process.
- Faculty members posted their subjects’ lesson plan, e-learning resources and question bank in the Institution website for students’ access and utilization. Faculty and students research publications also been displayed. As above mentioned documents are open access to the public, anyone can access, review, develop and reproduce in their
- E-books, E-journals and other E-resources are made available to the students through Library Knowledge Hub with IP address (192.168.31.6 or http://dl.vsbec.com/) where students can access anywhere inside and outside the campus with their gadgets or systems.
- To contribute to the improvement of students learning, Innovative ICT based teaching facilities such as smart class room, video conferencing and LCD projectors are used effectively by the faculty
- The Wi-Fi enabled campus encourages blended learning by way of providing access to website containing e-learning
- Google class room is an application designed to enhance the learning experience which is incorporated in our teaching learning process. It helps to interact with students by posting technical contents, notes and assignments.
- Faculty members and students undergo online courses from NPTEL in their area of interest. This helps them to enrich their knowledge on current trends and also equip themselves with inter-domain expertise.
- Online classes are conducted by ‘Olympus great learning platform’. All the sessions are recorded and available for students’ future reference.
- Virtual labs are utilized for conducting laboratory experiments
- Each class is refreshed through recapitulation for five minutes.
- Interesting webinars are blended with classroom teaching as an effective medium in knowledge transfer and learning
- The faculty members are encouraged to participate in AICTE Training & Learning (ATAL) FDPs, short term courses and staff development programs on advanced topics to keep pace with the advanced level of knowledge and skills.
- The video lectures help the slow learners to improve their thinking ability and knowledge. The E-learning video resources compiled by our faculty are available in the URL www.vsbec.com/downloads
vI) Olympus Great learning Portal (LMS)
|S.No||Name of the Faculty||Topic Name||Name of the Subject||URL|
|1.||Dr.K.Umamaheswari||Working Principle of Nuclear power plant||Power Plant Engineering||https://ninja.greatlearning.in/online_session/recordings?mentored_session_id=757409|
|2.||Dr.G.Prabhakar||Magnetic Flux Density||Electro Magnetic Theory||https://ninja.greatlearning.in/online_session/recordings?mentored_session_id=205619|
|3.||Dr. I. Kathir||Modeling of transmission lines using matlab||Power System Simulation Lab||https://ninja.greatlearning.in/online_session/recordings?mentored_session_id=729801|
|4.||Dr. P. Arulkumar||Polarization||Electromagnetic Theory||https://ninja.greatlearning.in/online_session/recordings?mentored_session_id=748911|
|5.||Dr. B. Senthilkumar||Simplification of Function – K map||Digital Logic Circuit||https://ninja.greatlearning.in/online_session/recordings?mentored_session_id=757857|
|6. Ic||Mr. P.Parthasarathy||PN Junction characteristics and its application||Electron Devices and Circuits||https://ninja.greatlearning.in/online_session/recordings?mentored_session_id=136525|
|7.||Mr. B. Prasanth||Peripheral Interfacing||Microprocessors and Microcontrollers||https://ninja.greatlearning.in/online_session/recordings?mentored_session_id=183992|
|8.||Mr.C.Maheshkumar||Post fault voltage and current||Power System Analysis||https://ninja.greatlearning.in/online_session/recordings?mentored_session_id=188333|
|9.||Dr.P.Elamurugan||Uses of Ethics theories||Professional Ethics In Engineering||https://ninja.greatlearning.in/online_session/recordings?mentored_session_id=402387|
|10.||Mr A. Jainulafdeen||Single phase voltage source inverters||Power Electronics||https://ninja.greatlearning.in/online_session/recordings?mentored_session_id=768987|
|11.||Mr.R.Sivakumar||Problems on Z bus and Z bus building algorithm||Power System Analysis||https://ninja.greatlearning.in/online_session/recordings?mentored_session_id=764078|
|12.||Mr.K.Karthi||Pulse Measurement||Basics of Biomedical Instrumentation||https://ninja.greatlearning.in/online_session/recordings?mentored_session_id=769865|
|13.||Mr.S.Raghul||Band pass filter||Basics of Biomedical Instrumentation||https://ninja.greatlearning.in/online_session/recordings?mentored_session_id=190148|
- Eminent personalities from various Institutions / Industries are giving their valuable lectures in the recent development of the subject.
- Career development courses which can add value to students are in progress to support placement activities.
- Students are encouraged and guided by faculty members to do real time projects in various industries during their final semester.
- Each student is provided with a personal login in our to college automation software take placement training and its assessment
- Placement trainings are being conducted to enhance students’ placements. Internal trainers from Placement and Training Cell train our students both in problem solving and communication. Online placement test series are enabled for students where they can practice and equip themselves anywhere within and outside of the campus.
- Two faculty members are engaged to conduct and evaluate tutorial classes.
- Faculty and Student research publications & innovations are made available in the college website which can be referred by other faculty and student scholars.
EEE Department Virtual Lab Details
|S.No||Name of the Faculty||Name of the Course||Objective||Public Usage||Online Link|
|1||Dr.K.Umamaheshwari||Power System Simulation Lab
|To provide better understanding of power system analysis through digital simulation||Faculty and students of the EEE department across India||http://vp-dei.vlabs.ac.in/Dreamweaver/|
|2||Dr.I.Karthi||Electric Circuits Virtual Lab||To simulate various electric circuits and verification of theorems.||Faculty and students of the EEE/ECE department across India||http://vlab.amrita.edu/?sub=1&brch=75
|3||R.Sivakumar||Electrical Machines lab||To expose the students to the operation of D.C. machines and transformers and give them experimental skill||Faculty and students of the EEE department across India||http://em-iitr.vlabs.ac.in/|
|4||M.Lavanya||Control and Instrumentation Lab
|To provide knowledge on analysis and design of control system along with basics of instrumentation||Faculty and students of the EEE/ECE department across India||http://controlsystemsacademy.com/index.html|
|5||Mr. A. Jainulafdeen||Power Electronics Lab||To provide understanding capability with power electronic converters and testing||Faculty and students of the EEE department across India||http://ied-nitk.vlabs.ac.in/|