INNOVATIVE TEACHING METHODOLOGY
Bio-Technology Department consists of a set of dedicated, qualified, experienced faculty and supporting staff members meeting the requirements as prescribed by AICTE and Anna University. A variety of interactive pedagogical activities used to be organized to draw the interest of budding minds of students towards theoretical subjects and the development of cutting-edge technologies.
The following are the various teaching methodologies used in different aspects for the delivery of course:
Lecture Method and Interactive Learning:
- Audiovisual aids, chalk, and board are used by the faculty for teaching.
- Students are encouraged to clarify their doubts, during the lecture hour itself.
- During the lecture hour first 5 minutes are used for revising topics taught in the previous class and the last 5 minutes is used to give a summary of the current class. Hence the students will get continuity of the previous day topics.
Application Based Learning:
- Students are encouraged to attend workshops from the 2nd year onwards. As an outcome of the workshop, interested students will develop Projects/ mini Projects at the end of the workshop.
- Students are encouraged for an internship in the industry during vacations.
- Students are taken to industrial visit at least once a semester to see the real-time operation.
- The Department is equipped with modern Laboratories with state of art facilities, in Microbiology Lab, Cell biology lab & Biochemistry Lab. The Department is in the process of equipping with laboratories like Molecular Biology & Genetics Engineering Lab, Bioprocess Engineering & Down Stream Processing lab.
- Practical exercises are taught in the laboratory.
- In addition to the experiments given in the syllabus, students are instructed to practice additional experiments as suggested by the concerned faculty.
- Laboratories are accessible for the students during the scheduled periods and also during leisure hours for doing experiments.
- Microplate Reader (Elisa Reader)
- Research grade Optical Microscopes
- UV-Visible Spectrophotometer
- Electrophoresis System
- Shaking Incubator
- Laminar Flow Chambers
- All classrooms are equipped with a projector facility.
- All laboratories and classrooms have Wi-fi access.
- Online courses – Online courses are being conducted through NPTEL online courses and google classrooms so that students can post and clear their doubts at any time without hesitation and can download course materials.
- College automation software – Each student is provided with a personal login wherein they can download Course Material, Syllabus, a Question bank, Assignment topics, Short videos, NPTEL video links.
Other Innovative Teaching methods adopted by the faculty
- Faculty members posted their subjects’ lesson plans, e-learning resources, assignments and question banks in the Institution website and intranet portal (IMPRES) for students’ access and utilization. Faculty and students’ research publications have also been displayed. As above mentioned things are open access to the public, anyone can access, review, develop and reproduce in their works.
- NPTEL online videos are displayed to the students regularly during Library hours to enhance their potential knowledge in the field of engineering which enables them to do innovative projects relevant to Societal problems
- Students are encouraged to undergo NPTEL Online Courses conducted by IIT professors which provides a better platform to interact with eminent professors from IIT
- Our college follows a unique way of assessing student’s performance through Assignment using Google Classroom which paves a way of using Technological advancement in Teaching Learning Paradigm
- To contribute to the improvement of students learning, Innovative ICT based teaching facilities such as smart classroom, video conferencing and LCD projectors are effectively used by the faculty members.
- The Wi-Fi enabled campus encourages blended learning by way of providing access to a website containing e-learning resources.
- Each class is refreshed by the student for five minutes regarding the contents taught in the last class before starting to enhance the learning process and the same is accomplished by another student at the end of the class.
- Eminent personalities from various Institutions/ Industries are giving their valuable lectures in the recent development of the subject.
- Placement training is being conducted to enhance students’ placements. Internal trainers from Placement and Training Cell train our students both in problem-solving and communication. Online placement test series are enabled for students where they can practice and equip themselves anywhere inside and outside of the campus.
- Two faculty members are engaged to conduct and evaluate tutorial classes.
- Faculty research publications & innovations are made available on the college website can be referred by other faculty and student scholars.
- Various pedagogical activities have been followed by the faculty for the student in order to create interest over the subjects and the developing technologies.
- Website– Each student can download Course Material, Syllabus, a Question bank, Assignment topics, and NPTEL video links.